I decided to join a group for the 2nd assignment. I was tasked with completing the fractal code. I spent the first day trying out different things to solve the check expects and easily passed the check expects but I realized later that the just passing the check expects was not enough to finish the assignment.
The next day I decided to use the problem solving method taught in the second week of lecture.
Understand the problem
I studied the code and read the instructions within the fractal code in order to figure out what exactly I was supposed to accomplish. I realized that for the the Sierpinski check expects I wasn't supposed to just pass the check expects but I needed to write a recursion. The other part of the assignment was to add [question answer] pairs that altered the depth and base of the Sierpinski using arrow key presses.
Devise (one or more plans)
I created a plan that involved writing a recursion for for sierpinski in terms of (param-depth) and (param-base). I also created a plan to model my key presses after the ball assignment key presses.
Try the plan
I attempted to implement the plans. I had to brain storm for a couple hours how to arrange the syntax so that Sierpinski was written in terms of param-depth and param base. It took a while but I hit a break through .
The key press I modeled after the ball assignment didn't work at first, because I had four arguments instead of two. Once I figured out my mistake it was easy to fix.
Look back
Looking back I should have studied the structure of param and realized it only had two variables: depth and base. If I realized that earlier I would have been able to solve the key press problem faster instead of having four arguments.
Thoughts on the course
I really enjoyed all the topics covered in csc104. It had a bit of programming and some history/social issues about technology which have useful real life applications. Professor Heap was a very enthusiastic lecturer and the TAs were nice and helpful when ever I had problems concerning Dr. Racket.
It sounds like you nailed the fractal code with your problem-solving approach. Nice.
ReplyDelete